Saturday, March 31, 2007

Limitation

All of us have our own level of limitation in everything we do. When we are requested to do something that we are not very capable of, the typical answer that comes out from our mouth would be "I cannot do that." or, "I do not know how to do that." Without realising it, we have already set our limitation to the lowest level without giving the task a try.

I am the type of person who believe that as long as another person is capable of performing a particular task, then there should be no reason for me not to be able to perform the exact same task as the other person.

I can play basketball, but not as good as Michael Jordan.

I can dissect mouses, but not as good as a surgeon.

Get the picture? From here, we can easily reanalyse all the tasks that we have rejected in the past. Was there any particular task that is completely impossible to perform? Difficult? Yes but certainly not impossible.

Recently, I got to know about the Penang Bridge Marathon which will be held on June 26th, 2007. I used to be pretty good in long distance run while I was still studying in secondary school. That was ages ago and I do realise that my stamina is no longer as high as it used to be.

Therefore, I made it a point to wake up early this morning before work to do a test run at the Air Itam dam. Previously in Form 6, I was able to circle the dam for 1 round. This time I succeeded in making it 2 rounds, which in my opinion, was a pretty good progress.

While I was warming myself down, I asked an uncle how many kilometer have I covered for the 2 rounds. Apparently, the perimeter of the dam is more or less 3.x kilometers and therefore, I have ran for approximately 7 kilometers. Reaching home, I browsed to the Penang Bridge Marathon website and guess what I found?

42.195 kilometers!?

The full marathon is 42.195 kilometers long while the half marathon is 22.3 kilometers away from the ending point!

After considering for 2 minutes, I think I rather sleep than waking up in the ungodly hour JUST TO RUN. Limitation? Let us forget about limitation for now, shall we? :P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

suen la my fren, if i were u i would choose sleeping rather than running, hahhaaha.

but maybe u can meet up with kennysia and ask him to post something about u in his blog, then that would be a profitable run, hehe.

(e+ho)ng said...

tienhan: Haha... yeah, I was hoping to meet up with him as well. I even thought of starting from the end so that I shall have the opportunity to catch up to him.

Haha... kind of underestimating him. :D But... if Kenny Sia can do it, I should be able to do it also right? Haha... overestimating myself. :P