Friday, March 9, 2007

Convocation Episode 1: The Redundancy of the Camera

Today I was forced to travel all the way back to my university to get my graduation robe for this coming Sunday's convocation ceremony. Since my girlfriend was idling around in Penang, I brought her along to let her have a taste of the environment in UUM.

As I have promised to post up some photos and pictures in my blog, I made it a point to bring along my digital camera as well. However, as we were departing at 6am where most of us would still be cuddling in the warm bed, we felt that it would be more comfortable for us to catch up on some sleep in the bus as well. Therefore, no photo and a not-so-enthusiastic start I believe.

Upon reaching UUM, we rushed to the robe store to snatch 1 of my size. We were so focused on trying out the different sizes and making sure that the robe was in perfect condition that we totally forgot about the camera that was tucked away in my bag.

On the other hand, none of you out there would believe just how money sucking this convocation ceremony registration was with all those "compulsary" fees that graduates have to pay up.


Pimping myself to pay up all those convocation fees.

I met a few of my coursemates pimping themselves too for the exorbitant fees that we had to come up with picking up their robes as well. I do not know how those bloggers out there initiate the move but I still find myself too shy to ask them for a few snaps with me for my blog. Maybe I should be a little more aggressive next time?

My girlfriend claimed that UUM has more trees, which was a good thing. Now, I am sure everyone would agree with me that more trees would be equivalent to lower temperature. Then why the heaven is the weather SO HOT?!


Come rain or shine, umbrella is a must in UUM!

Friday is more or less a Sunday in UUM and therefore, there was nothing much I could show my girlfriend around. The new UUM bus payment method was another disappointment since my girlfriend did not possess a UUM student matric card to board the bus.

With nowhere else to go, we ended up having our lunch at Guthrie residential college where one of my cousin is staying at. Any of you ever had the experience of being nagged to death for not paying your friend a visit when you were somewhere near? That was the sole reason why I had to have my lunch there instead of somewhere else with tastier food.


Right: The "death-nagger".

The journey back to Penang took us 5 hours TOO long. I might be dreaming but I believe the bus driver was TOO kind enough to bring us for some sightseeing tour around Alor Setar. Too bad we got too bored and fell asleep halfway through.


Home sweet home.

Overall, my girlfriend enjoyed the trip even though it was not as pleasant as she initially imagined it to be. The only thing that I have to keep reminding myself in the future: USE THE CAMERA!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, very thank you that you are having a visit to me when you are back to UUM. Anyway, I am not forcing you to give me a visit. Well, I would like to wish you "Congratulations! Finally, you are graduated!"

(e+ho)ng said...

mayfang: Haha... are you sure it is totally alright for me not to pay you a visit? I think you will hit my head if that were to happen. :D Anyway, thanks for your wishes! ;)

Now I am just waiting for your turn to graduate.