Tuesday, May 20, 2008

B12: Vegetarian's nemesis

For the record, I am now back to being an omnivorous creature. Yeah, I know I vowed to consume less meat but after what happened last week, I guess giving up meat is not as easy as I thought it to be.

3 weeks ago, I did not face much difficulty in regaining my basketball touch on the court.

A week later, I started to experience giddiness and fatigue after an hour into the game. Upon reaching home, I forewent the bath and took a nap but the situation did not improve by much. The exhaustion was so severe that going out of the house to buy myself a meal was totally out of the picture.

With not much option left, a quick hypothesis pointed to the lack of meat-related nutritions as 1 of the possible causes. As a result, I have to put my herbivorous lifestyle on hold and observe my condition for any noticeable improvement in the coming few days.

6 days went on with slight vertigo persistently lingering on in my head. With the floor constantly wobbling erratically, it did not take very long before Mr. Depression starts knocking on my mental door, whispering "Parkinson's Disease!" non-stop in the most rusky voice imaginable.

Yeah, label me paranoid, pessimistic or anything else but when you are stuck with the notion that something is going wrong in your head for the past few months long, you would be freaked out as much as I do, if not worse.

Anyway by the 7th day, the lightheadedness started to fade away little by little. Some simple Googling revealed that I might have been struck with Vitamin B12 deficiency due to imbalanced diet for the past month.

Now, to overcome this tiny obstacle, I will have to get some milk (yuck!) or alternatively, dietary supplements. The next question to ponder upon would be - is there any other nutritions that I might be lacking of apart from Vitamin B12 that could have caused similar symptoms?

SIGH~

Food is so complicated.

4 comments:

nahneit said...

Then go try consume meat but zero vege for days and see what's the diff? But make sure you go bath. XD

(e+ho)ng said...

@hoe tien han:
Hmm... any relation between bathing and consuming only meat? Will I pass a lot of wind?

nahneit said...

consuming only meat will make ur body odor smell bad, in long term...

so make sure go bath, a lot! XD

aiya, just recover back your meal to ur normal days then you'll be fine.

(e+ho)ng said...

@hoe tien han:
I never know that! O.o"