Friday, August 3, 2007

Kuala Lumpur

This entry should have been posted way long ago but due to some changes in my working environment... okie, fine. I have been complaining so much that the word work is starting to fade out from my dictionary.

Anyway, my point is that I have finally got the chance to pay Kuala Lumpur a REAL visit! Yes, you read it right. I am a stranger, a tourist in my very own country's capital city. Most of my friends have been to Singapore, Australia, Europe, moon, you-name-it but look at me. Dump me in the middle of Kuala Lumpur and you will see a white mouse getting lost in a maze.

Now, the reason I highlighted the word real is due to the fact that this was actually my 3rd visit to Kuala Lumpur.

I still remember vividly how I lost my Kuala Lumpur virginity. The date was November 1st, year 2005. I was not supposed to be in Kuala Lumpur. I was been promised great glory and fame in exchange for my participation in the inter-university squash competition held at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia. Alas, things did not go as smooth as it was planned and Universiti Utara Malaysia were eliminated even before I marched into the court. Read my keyboard: I am not the reason my team lost.

Frustrated, I demanded for early retirement from the competition and to be ferried back to my university since I have lectures and assignments to catch up to. The officer-in-charge would not accept any kind of excuses to ruin his holiday and before I could even spot the Petronas Twin Towers, I was already in Puduraya, boarding a bus bound for Universiti Utara Malaysia.

To make things even worse, I did not manage to take even a single photo to commemorate my first visit to Kuala Lumpur save for this photo which was captured in the university stadium. Someone please tell me that Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia is IN Kuala Lumpur.


No, I swear this was in UKM!

Zoom a little forward to June 6th, 2006 and, lo and behold, I was in Kuala Lumpur again when I was not supposed to. My coursemates participated in the Application Development Competition in the International Conference on Computing and Informatics and I wasted no opportunity to tag along since it was held in Kuala Lumpur.

I bet that time ticks faster in Kuala Lumpur because AGAIN, before I can spot the Petronas Twin Towers, I was already in the bus on its way back to Penang. This time, I managed to snatch a photo to prove my 2nd failure in a row.


The statue at the back was my alibi that I was indeed in Kuala Lumpur.

April 7th, 2007. Finally I was in Kuala Lumpur without any purpose / event / motive to hinder me from enjoying my time there. Let us see...

1. I have had enough of buses kidnapping me away from Kuala Lumpur. This time, I wanted to travel by car. CHECKED!

2. I have companions that knew their way around Kuala Lumpur. CHECKED!

3. I visited the Petronas Twin Towers. Thank God, at last! CHECKED!

4. I went window shopping at Suria KLCC, Berjaya Times Square, Sungei Wang Plaza and Low Yat Plaza. CHECKED!

5. I lost my IMAX 3D virginity. Yuck but... CHECKED!

6. Took gazillions of photos of me and the Petronas Twin Towers... FAILED.

I DID take a lot of photos but with cheap digital camera came low quality photos. The best photo I have of the Petronas Twin Towers was the one without me in it. Sigh...


View from hotel room.

Kuala Lumpur, CONQUERED!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waaaa.. new entry .... so syok nia...
And sorry har ... I am so busy, in fact very busy with work lately, as you know what happened in my team, and I am handling more than one person job now. You can imagine me, whole day just replying emails and solving issues, and end up no time to do my weekly reports, and end up bring them back home to do :(
Life is like a hell for me now.
So, my thing is awaiting for you to fetch it back to your home, so when you are free, just tell me earlier, and I will da pao your rubbish for you. Please tell me earlier ok? As it has already has thick dusk covering it, so I need time to clean it up for you, pai se again.
Sorry la, I also don't know why my room has so many dusk, we already make up our mind want to clean our room WHEN we have time...
Saw you in msn last night, but I was having headache and vomiting, so I was not in the mood to hula with you, I will chat with you in case i see you again later.
See ya, and take care.
Hey some weeks ago, I read newspaper saying that there is some proposal to change the name of Kuala Lumpur to Kuala without Lumpur right? Wondering how it is going now...
I haven't read newspaper for 2 weeks already, time for me to catch up some news now.. see ya

(e+ho)ng said...

anonymous:
If I were to give RM0.10 for the first person to submit comments in my blog, I guess you would have been much richer by now. It is just too bad that I am poor as well so you can keep on dreaming about the RM0.10. :D

Seriously, I appreciate you spending some time to visit this pitiful blog of mine and thankful as well for your generosity to leave comments here.

Regarding your current work status, I disagree 100% on bringing your work back home in order to finish it on time. It has been one of my principles that there must be a clear line between working hours and personal time.

After fully committing myself for 9 to 11 hours in the office, I believe that I deserve the remaining hours for my own personal activities or indulgences.

I think I have already informed you of this idea in the past when we were still in Leapfrog. :D

Regarding the modem, I actually planned to pick it from you yesterday but due to fatigue, I have to cancel off the idea.

Kuala Lumpur -> Kuala? Huh? I do not think it is that easy to change the name of the capital city of a country. This is just one of those silly-attention-whoring-politicians' idea that will never materialize.

Last but not least, do take care of your health. I shall inform you through MSN / email / SMS when I am able to go over to your house to pick up the modem.

nahneit said...

Kuala Lumpur, CONQUERED?!

i doubt, hahaha!! there are still lots of places in KL i encourage you to visit before you really mean "conquered", even myself a KL kid dare not to say that i conquered KL already, worst still, I will get lost oso. >.<

p/s: i think your conversation with anonymous should move to msn instead of leaving *cough cough* 40 comments in a single blog. =P

(e+ho)ng said...

tienhan:
After 2 failures in a row, any small victory will mean the whole world to me. :D

But I have to admit that the term "conquered" is not very accurate but since I have published the blog entry, there is nothing much I can do to alter it.

It has been a very long time since you last visited my blog. Welcome back!

anonymous:
*ahem* As you can see, my fellow blog reader has spoken. It is time for you to shed that anonymity of yours and show yourself to the world... and stay on topic too. :P

nahneit said...

actually i have been visiting your blog quite often geh, but always encounter some "chat" between u guys so i dunno should i leave some words or not loh.....

(e+ho)ng said...

tienhan:
Hmm... maybe I should have installed hits counter to trace the amount of readers that my blog has.

Anyway, thank you again for dropping by. If I ever stopped by in Kuala Lumpur, let us meet up and maybe explore some parts of Kuala Lumpur that I have never been to. :P