Monday, July 23, 2007

Death

A few weeks ago, I received a SMS from Tien Han informing me that his grandmother has passed away. I knew that he was pretty close to his grandmother therefore it was not something easy for him to go through. Nevertheless, from what I read in his blog, he managed to get things under control in a short period of time.

A week later, I received another news that one of my ex-schoolmate's father has been admitted into hospital due to cancer. This guy on the other hand tried too much at putting the issue aside that it did not go very well for him. When some of us gracefully rejected his invitation for actitivities that he has planned, this guy got so frustrated that he regretted coming back to Penang during his recent academic holiday.

I can only guess that different people has their own level of capabilities in handling irreversible bad news. Hold on a second... since when death is a "reversible" situation? It is a sad fact that since the day we were born, death has been written as the end of our chronology of life. Each person that we see with our own naked eyes will one day come face to face with death.

Therefore, we were being taught since small not to take things for granted. I have always been repeatedly reminded to treat every single day as if it would be the last day of not only my own life, but of others as well. Alas, there were times when I got to lazy or careless only to be brought back to reality on the fragility of life when something bad happened to me or the person that I am close to.

For example, 2001 marked the year my mom passed away.

2 years later I survived a freak car accident that made me realise the importance of introducing my girlfriend to my family member. At that particular moment when the car was tumbling down the ravine, the only thought that brushed through my mind was "How do I tell my girlfriend that I am dead?" It might sound sarcastic when you are sitting comfortably in your chair reading this but trust me, things are totally different when this short thought is the only thing you can conjure up before the car hits the bottom of the slope in 3 seconds.

In addition, my girlfriend has never failed to land me in panic-stricken state when she did not respond to my telephone call or missed a promised call-back. I would have definitely been much richer if I were to collect RM1 from her for each time she caused me to get anxious. However, optimistically speaking, she has actually indirectly reminded me that like a tiny flame burning on a candle, I could lose her anytime anywhere.

The only advice that I can offer to those who are new to the experience of losing someone is to accept their departure. They have left their memories engraved in your heart and rejecting their demise will only waste those memories away. Last but not least, condolences to all that have learnt to look forward and went on with life.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sorry, just realise that you had written a new entry now.
Busy with work this week, more workload than usual, and thank god, with me forcing myself to work at home every night, I completed my pricing and sent for mass upload today, and came out with a few minor mistakes.
And good show will come next month, do not expect me to reply you frequently beginning next month. I will tell you why, if you send me an email asking me the reason.

Anonymous said...

Paise, posted it before I finished what I want to say. Hmm ... do not keep telling me the story when you almost die in that car accident. It is already an old story :D

I don't know what I suppose to say... bad guys live forever???
Good people die young?

(e+ho)ng said...

anonymous:
Good show? Do you mean something like a drama series or something is going to happen to your current occupation? Maybe you can be more specific if you email me about it?

Haha... about the car accident, it is just an example. In fact, we are always living at the edge of "almost dying". Just imagine your heart stop beating... which is just about less than a second away. ;)

Am I a bad guy? :'(

Anonymous said...

LOL ... you are a bad guy... and girls do prefer bad guy more than good guys .. so why not you be a bad guy instead of ggod guy?
Hmm ... today someone email me his picture. Hehe .. all the while, we just exhange emails as we are working for the same company, but for different location, different counterpart. We always supporting each other when comes to shortages. And as you can see, I just help him to overcome the shortages he is having, and who knows he sent me his pictures instead. Still single of course. And yes, not in Malaysia la. Maybe this is a good chance for me ???
Who knows right?
Who should i choose? MR A or MR B?

The good show in here means, I will be working like hell starting next month, as there will be ppl leaving and more workload. Happy now?

(e+ho)ng said...

anonymous:
I believe everyone has been both a good guy and bad guy before. Different situations call for different personalities.

OMG! I ask you to go to work but what did you do? You flirtatious newbie! How dare you! :D Congratulations anyway. Mind to share the photos with the master of the blog and his tiny group of readers?

Anonymous said...

Ok, I got it, you just want me to admit that you are a good guy right?
Do you know ... in fact, you are a really good guy.

Flirting never cross my mind ok?
We just exchanging formal email, until suddenly we ran out of track here. Sure you wanna see his picture? Well, I can send it to you later, perhaps. This time, he is Mexicano... Better than Malaysian right?

(e+ho)ng said...

anonymous:
Thanks for the compliment there. Frankly speaking, I am just a wolf in a sheep's wool. ;)

Ehh, do not compare Mexicans and Malaysians in my blog. I do not wish for ISA to come knocking on my door for racist remarks. >,<"

Anonymous said...

Lol... we both know your personality here .. hehe

Don't worry, soon I will be comparing People's all over the world .. hehe

(e+ho)ng said...

anonymous:
How about people from other planets? Are you going to consider them in your queue as well?

Anonymous said...

Of course, I will be fair to them too, if they are also interested in me .. hehehe

(e+ho)ng said...

anonymous:
And you still dare to deny that you are flirtatious. -.-"

Anonymous said...

well,,,this is the 1st time i post my comment on ur blog lolz,,and i couldnt help myself to write a few after reading ur blog,,

i was kinda shock when i read that ur first question that came across ur mind when that miracle car came crashing down was 'how to do u tell ur gf that u'r dead?' I was thinking that ur gf is more important to ur family members or wat? Furthermore,,u only intro to ur gf to them after that 'sweet escape'?

Well,,if u know how to advise ppl to treasure their families,,i hope u r one of them too,dude,,,

wat u've said in ur blog is quite interesting though,,but it's human nature not to treasure wat they have within their means,,so just accept it lolz,,,

(e+ho)ng said...

tkt:
1st of all, thanks for visiting this puny little blog of mine. It was an honour to have you here. :D

I am not going to be emotional here but after my mom passed away, my girlfriend has somehow filled the gap in my life. Of course I am not going to call her "Mom" but believe me, she has never once abandoned me in times of highs and lows.

You have been to my house before therefore you should know how strict my family rules are. I was still in Form 6 then and to them, having a girlfriend will be deemed as a distraction to my education. However, the accident has taught me that age and time no longer play any role when you are no longer in this world. :P

Of course family members are important as well! However, 3 seconds are definitely too short for me to go through every single person in my mind. What I know is that the first person that appeared in that blink of an eye would be definitely someone damn important.