Friday, February 20, 2009

Question: The Monty Hall Problem

Have any of you watched the movie 21? This quiz is actually taken from the movie and I find it intriguing enough to be shared around. Do give it a try and let me know your answer. :)

Now, imagine yourself as a participant on a game show where you are presented with three doors in front of you. Let us call them Door A, Door B and Door C.

Behind one of these three doors is a brand new car while the rest are goats. You are required to guess the door that has the car behind it - unless you prefer a goat instead. :P

Sounds easy, right? Assuming that you pick Door A and the host - who knows what is behind the doors - intentionally opens Door C which sits a goat.

Good news, eh? Well, instead of revealing another door for you, the host offers you an opportunity to either stick with your initial choice or switch to Door B.

What say you? Stick or switch? And why?

As a reminder, please do not be a smart alec and browse through Google or Wikipedia for the answer. I just need your honest opinion. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't tell now, I might be choosing Door A or Door B, need to be in that situation myself to asnwer this Q.
But most probably I will stick to my choice.

Anonymous said...

Switch, Door B

I watched 21, so I don't have to repeat the calculations :P

If you didn't want people to search for it, you shouldn't have mentioned Monty Hall or the movie 21. Ambiguity is also a key to this "quiz".

(e+ho)ng said...

@daniel boey:
I trust you guys are honest enough since there is no prize involved... unless you really thought that I have an extra car to be given away.

I guess you will have to skip the next entry since it will most probably be the answer to the quiz.