Thursday, February 5, 2009

Money REALLY No Enough

Keep in mind that this is neither a rant nor blame post. This entry actually leans more towards getting feedback from the guys out there on a certain issue that is currently weighing down my shoulders. Of course, constructive opinions from the fairer sex are always welcomed as well. :)

So I was out at the bank yesterday to settle a few transactions and the amount of expenditures involved got me literally stunned for a moment there. In just a short span of 2 hours, my wallet was RM4605.15 lighter due to various loans & outstanding bills.

I am not the type of person who goes around chasing after wealth but damn, RM4605.15 is indeed an amount that is not easy to part with, especially since it concerns a number that is even much more than my monthly salary WTF?!

With this predicament clouding over my mind, I find it unfathomable how my colleagues and friends are able to afford a trip or two to some exotic countries or some cool gadgets that they toyed around for 2 months before dumping it aside for something new.

Where in the heaven did they milk their cash from? Is there some special cheat code that I need to shout out loud to get the sky to rain gold on my bed?

-sigh-

Here I am, still staring at my old list of necessities. It has been 2 years since I crossed over the boundary of slavery, into the stinky working society (that rhymes!) and I have yet to be able to put a tick to the Proposal Ring. Scroll down a little lower and there are still the Wedding and the House to ponder about. What about the Computer since mine has broken down a few months ago? In what order should I arrange their priorities?

This current dilemma of mine occasionally reminds me of an old song by Michael Finally Knows How To Fuc Rock; The Actor.



I'm not an actor I'm not a star
And I don't even have my own car~

Oh wait, I actually have a car. :P

Sometimes, I really do wonder which smart alec was the one who coined the term gentleman in the past. Look, I am a carefree guy with youthful intentions at heart and money should be the last thing for me to worry about. There are so many things that I want to do, locations to visit before I finally settle down and surrender myself to the gnawing jaw of age. Unfortunately, reality bites... and sucks too.

As I mentioned earlier, show me the money does not work and the list needs to be attended to sooner rather than later. I have tried to minimize my spending but I cannot help feeling something is wrong with my plan since those around me do not seem to have any problem splurging away.

No, I am not jealous. I am just curious for any shortcuts that I might have missed. Hmm... doesn't kill to try:

show me the money
show me the money
SHOW ME THE MONEY
*2 minutes ticked by but still no gold from the sky*


Cheated by the cheat code that does not work! :(

So, the question is, how do you guys - and girls - control your expenditures to the point that you have the heart to actually spend those hard-earned savings on things that are not related to your future needs? Let us see...

13% car loan
10% food
10% miscellaneous
10% father's allowance
10% savings plan premium
8% insurance premium
6.5% trust fund premium
5% Internet bill
2% motorcycle fuel
2% eletricity bill
2% flat maintenance
1% telephone bill

Take into account the remaining few deductions such as tax, SOCSO plus EPF and all that I have left is so puny that I do not even need a calculator to keep track of. Ah~ how pathetic it is to admit that the day to wed my sweetheart seems so distant away and owning a house is not something that I even dare to dream of. :'(

From what I read in local forums, a wedding event requires a budget of ±RM40,000. Gosh, I guess I am lucky after all to have friends like you all! A friend in need is a friend indeed, no?

For those of you who are so thick-skulled, *cough cough* bigger wedding ang pao *cough cough* :D

And dear 靖璇, this entry is not dedicated to you so there is nothing for you to feel bad about OK? ;)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, you are leaving your gf with 2 choices, either has no wedding at all or she has has to bear for the wedding expenses...

(e+ho)ng said...

@Anonymous:
Ehh... you are reading so far ahead that I am not even sure if you truly comprehend what I wrote. =.="

blueLavender said...

TEH, this is normal problem will be facing by most of the guy(gal may having the same problem too).

Sometimes I do wondering why some of my friends can go travelling once a year? I don't even DARE to do so jz because I want to save the HARD EARNED MONEY instead of SPEND it. (you know la, $$$ really is something you needed most if you want to continue your life in this world)

I'm sure that your beloved one won't care so much about the wedding ceremony. As long as you two do love each other, a simply wedding ceremony will do, no? (The way to show your love =/= how big your wedding ceremony)

~Cheer up~

Anonymous said...

Haha ... pardon me then, cuz I was very sleepy when i wrote the comment ... but I thought this is the message that you are asking me to pass over to your gf?

(e+ho)ng said...

@blueLavender:
I agree with the conclusion that you came up with at the end of your comment.

Nevertheless, it is going to be a once in a life time experience and hence, I am sure everyone wants to make it a memorable - not necessarily expensive - one too. But hey, that will still involves some costs no matter how we look at it.

@Anonymous:
You must be dreaming since I never passed you any mesage. :P

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with your 'worry' (maybe not)!
Trust me, whatever plan that you had 'plan', it wouldn't stay longer. Not to say surely you'll failed to stick to the plan, but too many things in future that will screw up your plan...
At last, what I want to say:"船到桥头自然直",don't worry something which is out of our control = Future.
(so sorry that I need you to ask your beloved that is that Chinese sentence mean.. :-) )

(e+ho)ng said...

@~~詠鉌の物語~~:
Hope for the best, plan for the worst, eh?

By the way, how come no one actually shares with me their monthly expenditure allocation?

靖璇 said...

Ha Ha!! Rupa-rupanya you want someone to show you their financial planning :p

You have other choice other than wedding event... em... can you guess it??? :p

I am very willing to share everything with you, my dear! Your smile more than anything to me... believe it or not???!!!!

(e+ho)ng said...

@靖璇:
YES! I really want to know from which hole did they grow their money tree. :P

Anonymous said...

I quote "it's the bank's money" and unquote

After a minor correction, it becomes "my future's money"

That's the hole, a really deep one too, so don't fall into it.

(e+ho)ng said...

@daniel boey:
So... you are robbing banks nowadays?

Anonymous said...

Halo Fellow Mr. Tan (sound bit older cisssss):p..pls dun TL me as I am really older than u to say this:pP

U hv started with the right tools -> by drafting yr monthly expenses

I bliv those started draft the monthly expenses will hv the same thing in mind -> where my $$$ goes & not enough to spend...trust me, I got tht experience more than u...

From yr budget:
13% car loan
10% food
10% miscellaneous
10% father's allowance
10% savings plan premium
8% insurance premium
6.5% trust fund premium
5% Internet bill
2% motorcycle fuel
2% eletricity bill
2% flat maintenance
1% telephone bill

My advise is, try to figure out whether is there any part of yr expense tht is not necessary and can be reduced? Sometime, we might consider the expense is a "needs" instead it was jst a "wants".Plan for it in time"s".

Human has many terms of needs in life: short , intermediate, medium, and long terms. U got to figure out what is the most important thing tht u must hv in short terms and intermediate terms
and so..by doing so, u will slowly start to realise tht what u shld do in order to achieve tht..for me, I work hard to get the $ (OT)..I am a damn stupid hardworking slave for tht reason..I am thinking bck if I was 23 and started to think as what I did now, I will b some person b4 35..ok but it is nvr too late, tht's my sharing..

If all of yr budget is a must to spend, then it is time for u to adjust yr life and working life..go do some part time or do more OT (bid more OT from yr geng esp fight with YCC)..my life started under ctrl when I came work there..and "bia" OT..nw I move on to the nxt..

Go get ctrl on yr life, jst start with budget(u already there), plan bit wat is yr short, intermediate, medium, long term needs..then kick yr foot to start, go find way to achiev the $ for tht..

And, for yr love-mate, communication is alwys the most important. Keep in touch and share yr plan with her. Get her idea/advise/opinion to work thru the same plan..most of the time, 2 person working tgt to achieve the same plans will ease the burden and this help entrust yr relationship tht no one will u/std..

U shld thx God for giving u pblm at younger age instead of at later age.

Here is something very nice to refer, u will not regret to read thru it..trust me..
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/money101/index.html

"To be living, u need to be ready."
"Ctlr yr life, dun let life ctrl u"

Hope my words are clear enough..as I am not so well verse in Eng..
Giv me a "shot" if u really need more clarification..u shld knw hw to get me..

(e+ho)ng said...

@anonymous:
Woah, that is the longest comment I have ever received and I seriously thank you for the advices.

To be frank, I actually do have my list of priorities as mentioned in the entry itself. In short, the list is my version of your short, intermediate, medium, long term needs.

I know I looked like a very laid back person in real life but do not let that fool you for I am not a person who is lazy enough to leave everything to fate. :)

I know you meant no harm in inviting me to join you in Cyberjaya and I need you to know that I truly appreciate your effort. Alas, I do have a few personal concerns such as my health and relationship to take care of.

One man's meat is another man's poison, ever heard about it? :)