Monday, July 7, 2008

Langkawi island

For the past few months, my office has been going abuzz with a plan of a trip to the Langkawi island. All the while, I paid no heed to it, thinking that it was just another NATO - No Action, Talk Only.

Imagine my surprise when they actually managed to successfully book all the necessary ferry tickets, rooms and cars 2 weeks prior to the scheduled trip. Since I have never visited the legendary island before, I wasted no time in jumping on the bandwagon.

Initially, I planned to ask my girlfriend along since she has expressed interest of visiting the island years ago but never had the chance to do so. Unfortunately, I was being informed that we were not able to accept any additional participant as we have reached the maximum capacity for 3 cars and 6 hotel rooms.

As fate has it, 1 of my colleagues was not able to make it back to Penang in time. By then, it was already too late to rope my girlfriend in since it was 10 minutes before the ferry departure time.

超级白!

The ferry trip was much longer than what I have expected. Hence, there was ample of time for some candid camera moments.


Intoxicated by seasickness?

Perhaps it is a good time to introduce some of my colleagues here as well. Keep in mind though that a number of them are not in these photos as they were busy wandering about in the ferry.


Mr. Chang, Mr. Barry & Ms. Choo.


(e+ho)ng, Mr. John (now in Shell Putrajaya) & Mr. Yew.


Mr. Tan (my ex-boss), Mr. Steven & Mr. Saad.


Mr. Oh, Mr. Jimmy & Mr. Sim.


Ms. Lawrence & Ms. Lim.

Most of the photos in this blog entry are leeched from the trip's main photographer with his Nikon D60:


Alan.

The weather was not as sunny as I have hoped it to be. I hate to say this but I always get agitated easily whenever my plans were hampered by bad weather.


Gloomy horizon.

We actually managed to reach Langkawi island earlier than scheduled. We were in luck as all the cars that we booked - a Toyota Altis, a Honda Stream and a Toyota Wish - were available right on the spot to be picked up.


Toyota Altis.

Our first destination was to stop by somewhere for lunch. The food was nothing to be proud of but there were many tax-free shops just around the area. Since it was drizzling, we spent some time stocking up on chocolate, beer and wine supplies.


Drunkards' heaven!

On our way to the hotel, we dropped by at the Padang Beras Terbakar which was famous for... what else but burnt rice! Alas, it was extremely disappointing as there was no burnt rice to be seen at all.


Heck, even the sample of burnt rice was stolen WTF!?


A group photo as an evident that we were here.

With such a startling revelation, we decided to head straight to the hotel to check-in and took a short rest.


Lobby of Berjaya Langkawi Beach & Spa Resort.


We actually stayed in chalets instead of normal hotel rooms.

From here onwards, we basically divided ourselves into a few groups. I joined a few of my colleagues for a beach volleyball session before dipping myself into the not-so-impressive swimming pool to get rid of all those annoying sands. Yeah, I was pretty uncivilized.


I hate the peace sign but I do not know why I did it anyway.

Once everyone was cleaned up, we went out again for some Thai food dinner. Again, it was so-so with nothing much to brag about. I really miss the Thai food that I constantly had at Petronas cafeteria when I was still studying in Universiti Utara Malaysia. :'(

Before we returned to our chalets, my colleagues drove the bunch of us to the Dataran Lang to take a look at the famous Statue of Liberty imitation oversized eagle.


Cool aura photography effect by Alan.

It was on the way back to our chalets that something regrettable occurred. One of my colleagues drove too fast, too furious and I got so disturbed with the speed that I snapped at him with the taboo word f*cker. I hereby would like to apologize to him even though I have no plan to reveal who he was.

Once we were back at our chalets, all of us gathered in 1 of the rooms for a series of silly games where victims were punished by glugging down beers. Needless to say, I was pretty drunk by the time the clock hit 4am. Even the photographers were too drunk to capture any photo. :D

Nothing much actually happened on the next day. We basically:

  • packed all of our belongings
  • checked-out of the hotel
  • returned all the rented cars
  • had a quick lunch at the jetty
  • took the ferry back to Penang island
Overall, I find the trip a little too short as we did nothing much on the island. It could be that I have overestimated Langkawi island as a place with lots of interesting landmarks. However, from the example as shown in the Padang Beras Terbakar, I do feel that it was a blessing in disguise that we did not go around visiting all those legendary (kononnya la) locations or I might have ended up even much more disappointed than I am right now.

At the same time, it was definitely a wise choice too that I did not pull my girlfriend along for there was almost no time and place for us to be lovey-dovey at all... I have already got my hands full accompanying my colleagues all around the clock.

Last but not least, Langkawi island's beach is more or less equivalent to Penang island's beach... nothing to shout about. :P

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad that you only had the time to visit the Padang Beras Terbakar. But I thought the name is something like Pantai hitam? What about the Makam Mahsuri? and the underwater world? .. haiz..

(e+ho)ng said...

@anonymous:
Pantai Hitam? That Padang Beras Terbakar is not even a beach to begin with. :P

Nobody bothers to visit Makam Mahsuri. I think there is nothing interesting with it anyway.

A few of my colleagues did visit the Underwater World but there were nothing much to see since most of the fishes that were poisoned in the past have yet to be replaced. I considered myself lucky for not joining them. :D

Anonymous said...

Ah, the last time Daniel, me and co. went and invited you, you turned the offer down.

Was the poisoning of fishes at the Underwater World after we went? Don't recall seeing empty tanks when we visited that place.

The cable car up to the top is a good place to visit actually with elephant rides at the base.

(e+ho)ng said...

@daniel boey:
If I remember correctly, I had some issues to settle in the past. :S Or perhaps the timing was not suitable. Do forgive me.

I have forgotten when the aquarium poisoning actually occurred. According to my colleagues, there were still some fishes, jellyfishes & penguins around... just that they were much more in the past before the poisoning incident.

Pertaining to the cable car, it was in our plan initially.

Initially... you should know what usually happened to plans when you travel in groups. :P

blueLavender said...

I agree with daniel boey, the cable car is a good choice. The scenery up there is super beautiful. If you plan to go Langkawi again, can book a speedboat to Pulau Dayang Bunting, there is a lake called Lake of The Pregnant Maiden. Even a "dry duck" like me can jump into the lake to enjoy the cold water. :P

(e+ho)ng said...

@bluelavender:
I shall take note of your advices there. :)

Enjoy the cold water? The water heater in my house bathroom has malfunctioned for a few months now. I have been enjoying cold water since then. :D

Anonymous said...

hi. thru which site you rented the car? planning for a trip in december.